Home Audio Speaker Placement – Better Performance Through Better Design
Whether investing a large amount of your savings or a small part of your budget on your home theater, your speaker placement will play a big role in the sound quality and sonic performance in your home theater room.
The instructions that come with your speakers will give you recommendation for where to place them within a room but below are a few things to consider as you begin setting up your new home theater speakers.
7PiXL Multimedia Group is an industry leader throughout the Dallas, Plano, and Frisco area in providing the latest, cutting-edge technology in multimedia, access control and surveillance, security camera installation, key card access, gate control and security system installation, maintenance, and monitoring for multifamily housing projects, commercial, office, industrial, and residential projects. Not only do we design systems that are aesthetically pleasing to the eye, our team is trained to work in concert with building professionals, general contractors, etc. to integrate systems into new or retrofit offices, multifamily complexes, or homes.
CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER
This speaker’s main purpose is to anchor sounds on-screen, like dialogue.
Tips for placement of the center channel speaker:
1. Center it directly above or below your television.
2. If you place it above the television, the front edge of the speaker should line up precisely with the front edge of the television. This will cut down on any kind of sound “bouncing around” inside the television cabinet.
3. The tweeter of this particular speaker should be at the same height as the tweeters of the front speakers. If you can accomplish this to within 24 inches, that will allow for the best sound quality.
7pixl and our team of Security and Access control experts also bring their considerable experience to residential home automation control and security camera installation. Our access to various product lines allow us to tailor fit a residential system to any budget, and deliver a quality, completed project that will please the most demanding customer! From a new home theater or entertainment room to a full-blown state-of-the-art security camera installation, rest assured that the design, install and implementation of your system are performed professionally and properly, ensuring your safety and maximum enjoyment of your system.
4. The front speakers and this particular speaker should be spaced the same distance away from your planned listening position.
FRONT SPEAKERS: BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT
These speakers have two distinct purposes. They reproduce stereo music sound while also handling a movie’s soundtrack.
Tips for placement of the front speakers:
1. Find your optimal listening position. Now space the two front speakers at points in the room that are equal is distance to that position, with one to the left and one to the right. The front right, front left and center channel speakers should all be approximately the same distance from where you are sitting, with the tweeters of each directed at your ears. Don’t just eyeball this and get an approximate distance, as even an inch variation in the distance of the speakers can make a noticeable difference in your home audio system’s sound quality.
2. These speakers’ tweeters should be even to your ear level when seated in the optimal listening position. Smaller home theater speakers can be mounted on the wall or placed on a speaker stand. Floor standing speakers normally have this covered in their design.
The purpose of the surround speakers is to provide low and high level sound from other parts of the room, creating a movie theater feel in your home theater. The surround speaker placement will depend on the size of your home theater, the shape of the room, and the space needed for the actual speakers. Be creative and experiment with the placement of these particular speakers throughout the room.
We don’t stop there though, 7pixl can also set up your Audio/Visual system for your new office space as well! With our years of experience, along with the flexibility to develop custom solutions for everyone from small businesses to enterprise organizations, 7pixl can help you build an office with a professional Audio/Visual suite to impress your clients and employees. We also offer Structured Wiring solutions to allow your Television, Audio/Visual, and Internet services to be delivered where needed without clutter. All of our integrated commercial and office AV and control systems are custom designed and tailored to meet our client’s needs, budgets and preferences.
Tips for placement of the surround speakers:
1. Place the primary pair to the right and to the left of your optimal listening position. This can be done in line with your position or just behind it. When placement to the side is impossible, or when you have a surround system with more than two surround speakers, you may wish to place the speakers behind the listening position, with the sound being directed toward the front of the room.